It has been my goal to update the blog once a week. Unfortunately, a combination of changes at work, vacations, and the general busyness of the summer has kept me from blogging for over a month now! So I have a lot a catching up to do – please bear with me.
Back in May, wedding season started for us, and I wasn’t really crazy about any of the more affordable dresses out there on the market. So of course, I decided to make myself a little something to wear to weddings this summer.
I’ve been loving the open back, cut out look so that’s what I did. It’s not perfect though. I’m thinking of dying it a brighter mint color, and I’ll probably cut out the tulle ruffle for the next wedding I attend (to make it more minimal). I think the skirt could have been slightly less full too. But over all, it’s a perfectly cute dress!
Here’s a quick summary of my process.
I didn’t have any draping tape so I just outlined my shape by pinning whatever ribbon I had lying around.
Next I created a pattern using muslin. 3/8 inch seam allowance.
Then I cut my fabric.
For the bodice, I wanted a very stiff, crisp, tailored look so I backed all of my fabric with a heavy fusible interfacing.
Now I sewed the bodice and the bodice lining separately.
Then I sewed both pieces together for a nice clean edge.
But I was dumb. I didn’t properly measure the straps and made them too short. I had to sew in an extra ugly little segment. Like they say, measure twice, cut (and sew) once. Oops!
Here’s the back. It closes with a hook and eye closure, but at this point I’ve only sewn in the eyes (and just the top hook). I wanted the attachment loops hidden into the seam. I also tacked padded bra cups into the lining of the bust. You’ll get a glimpse of them in a later picture.
At this point the bodice is done, so I attached the skirt which is basically just a rectangle that is shirred at the top (no interfacing on this part).
Next I created the lining for the skirt with a nice full tulle ruffle.
Now for the finishing touches. The zipper can be added since the lining is in. Notice the bra cups behind the lining of the pic below.
And finally I sewed in the last hooks and eyes
And here’s the finished dress again. I’ll try to post pics after I dye it and cut out the tulle.