Follow Me on Pinterest follow us in feedly like us on facebook

Email Subscription

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

DIY Painted Planter

Ok, here’s a little mini post while I finish up a couple other bigger projects.

IMG_1619 title

If you’ve been reading the blog for a while, you’ll know that I’m an avid window sill gardener. Not only do I love growing and nurturing my plants, I also love paying attention to the aesthetic presentation of my plants. One great way to add a little pizazz to your boring old terracotta planters is by painting them with simple patterns.

I recently bought this adorable pink planter from West Elm.  I love the pop of color it adds to my window garden, but it needed a little something more.

img60c

IMG_1615

Using a little neon pink acrylic paint and a paint brush, I quickly added a simple herringbone pattern to it.

IMG_1617

For me, it was the extra dose of personality that it needed!  On a side note, the plant inside this pot is a variegated schefflera.  I grew this little guy from a cutting and it only had one leaf as of 6 months ago. Its growing so fast, I may have to re-pot it in a couple months.

IMG_1619

Anyway, acrylic paint worked great for this simple project, but I’ve also used spray paint to spruce up planters in the past.

A year ago I bought this lovely textured “Bataan” planter from Crate and Barrel.

36ecec21bdd010c999bf68b035fd9940

However, when I bought it home, it just felt a little blah with the rest of my neutral decor.  I decided to use gold spray paint and some masking tape to create a color blocked look.

IMG_1630

IMG_1629

That tiny little update added so much sophistication in my opinion.  It also helps it stand out in the sea of grey that is my home.

Exciting! USA Today: HOME Magazine

IMG_1594

I’d like to announce some very exciting news about the blog today! Our Kitchen DIY (specifically the tile back splash) was featured in USA Today’s HOME Magazine! Their Spring 2014 issue focuses on home DIY’s and I was approached by one of their editors when she randomly came across our blog. At first I was sure it was a scam because who would be interested in my humble little blog? But it’s legit and I am just so pleased with the opportunity to share my experience with a wider audience. I hope it inspires more people to tackle their own DIYs!

Check out the whole project here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4

IMG_1586

IMG_1591

P.S. My apologies for going so long without posting.  Life has been extremely busy ever since the New Year, what with Fashion Week and other work-related busy seasons.  I promise I have a bunch of exciting projects in the pipeline to share with you!

Major DIY’s in the Kitchen: PART 4 – Final Before and After Photos

Other posts in this series: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3

IMG_1424final

This is the last post in my four part kitchen series.  I’ve been trying to improve my photography skills and have been experimenting with shooting in RAW, white balancing, and all my other manual settings on my camera.  The only photos I’m not too happy with are the pics with the sink.  The lighting was terrible.  I think that’s the next thing I need to learn more about… lighting.

Anyway, I’m so happy with the way it turned out. The only thing left is the floors. They are driving me crazy. They are still that pinkish fake marble looking tile. Currently plotting solutions, but that’s a huge project for a later time. Oh, and we could use a new fridge too.

DSC03124.2

IMG_1430

IMG_1411

IMG_1421

IMG_1417

IMG_1412

IMG_1414

IMG_1455

IMG_1469.2

IMG_1424