Follow Me on Pinterest follow us in feedly like us on facebook

Email Subscription

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 – Finished!

Other posts in this series: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

Finally!  After devoting every free Saturday for two months, I’ve finally finished my winter coat! Yesterday was my first day wearing it out and in NYC, it was an appropriately cold day for its maiden voyage.

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

I have more finished shots at the end of the post, but first, here’s the rest of my process pics.

This is where I left off since my last post. The next thing I did was sew on the zipper and attach the sleeves of the shell.

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Here’s the zipper sewn in, but not finished – still no front storm flap

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

disembodied sleeves

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Yay! sleeve attached!

Next I needed to make a storm flap for the front zipper. I added female snaps the same way I did for the detachable trim for the hood.  My one big regret with this project is not fusing interfacing into the storm flap.  I feel like the finish flap doesn’t lay flat enough, but I didn’t realize it until its too late.

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Then I sewed the storm flap into the the coat where the zipper is.

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

The male snaps will be added later

In the picture below, you can see that the edge where the shell is sewn into the lining needs some serious pressing and top stitching.  See how it kind of folds and curls into itself?

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Now here is what it looks like after being pressed and top stitched.  Much cleaner and more finished looking!

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

And THEN I added male snaps to the placket corresponding with the female snaps on the storm flap.

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

At this point I had to do a ton of hand stitched tedious stuff.  First I tacked the toggle straps down to the storm flap.  Then I sewed on each button by hand.

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

And finally I hand stitched the lining into the hem – and the sleeve lining into the cuff of the sleeve.

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Then after a little pressing, it was all done!  Here’s the finished coat!

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<

Winter Coat Progress Part 4 - Finished! - >> joeandcheryl.com <<


7 comments to Winter Coat Progress Part 4 – Finished!

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>